Fort Jesus Mombasa

 Kenya

From UNESCO:

UNESCO Image

The Fort, built by the Portuguese in 1593-1596 to the designs of Giovanni Battista Cairati to protect the port of Mombasa, is one of the most outstanding and well preserved examples of 16th Portuguese military fortification and a landmark in the history of this type of construction. The Fort's layout and form reflected the Renaissance ideal that perfect proportions and geometric harmony are to be found in the human body. The property covers an area of 2.36 hectares and includes the fort's moat and immediate surroundings.

From our members:

smittytabb visited from 5/23/2009 to 5/23/2009.

srdshelly54

srdshelly54

Peltzi

globetrotter230

drlatorre

maklaj

Maklaj

kairho

srdshelly